Pages

What are you putting off?

What are you putting off? The mundane chores? Something scary? Tax return? (That one's for me!)

For those who know abut my treatment in a bit more detail, they would know I go into the hospital every now and then for an infusion as part of my chemotherapy, and I even go in on weekends if I'm scheduled to have some blood tested. I go into Royal Perth and into a little department called Apheresis.  Australian Red Cross says, "Apheresis (pronounced ay-fur-ee-sis) is a special process by which donations of plasma only or platelet only can be made." Not just donations happen here, so much more does so let me continue...

My point at the moment is, I go to this place and see many patients, a lot who are older and more unwell than I am. They may have cancer or other blood disorders that require regular infusions, of either platelets and plasma, or blood. 
I've come to the realisation that there is such a huge need for blood and people to donate. I did know this already, but I was someone that every time I thought about going to donate blood, I would get a cold or sick and then not go. Something I kept putting off.

I now cannot donate my blood, ever. For the rest of my life. Because of cancer and chemotherapy.

I missed my chance.

You never know what is around the corner. You never know how much one day you may even need blood.

I met a girl in apheresis, who without daily plasma exchanges, she would die. Doctors don't yet know how to fix her. So she's up to day 30 now, banking on the generosity of others to keep her alive.
It's the same for so many more, and even me. Chemotherapy can affect your haemoglobin levels and I could indeed need a few units of blood to make me better. This little department of apheresis is just the surface. Imagine the people who lose litres of blood in trauma, accidents, surgery?

Blood is in need. Blood and the other products like plasma and platelets.

If you are healthy and well, why not donate?

I can't contribute in that way physically now, but I will make sure all my friends and family are aware they can help.

Please let me know if you are donating, I'm happy to come along with you! Or just let me know that you're going or have been, because you are special!!

For mor information about donating blood, visit the website http://www.donateblood.com.au

Giving blood is not as scary as needing it.

1 comment:

  1. I used to donate Plasma all the time but after getting unwell at the start of the year I haven't been able to. Once I get a good run for a few months, Ill be back.
    Michelle xx

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS