Pages

Triathlon Madness

Some of you may have seen on facebook or instragram that I completed a triathlon.
I may not seem like a big deal to you, and you might even question why I have posted so much about it in social media. But to me it is a huge deal.
I cannot believe my body got through what it did and performed so well considering where I was just a short year ago.
I finished chemotherapy in January 2014 and as soon as my hickman line (the IV line administering chemotherapy into my veins) was out I began walking. I missed exercise SO MUCH during my treatment. I was so jealous of everyone else when they would post about a run they did or when they told me about what exercise they had done that day. For some reason is actually really hurt, and felt like they were rubbing it in. I know they weren't, but that is just what I was feeling at the time.
Throughout treatment, I wasn't allowed to exercise at all, for my health but also safety with the line sitting in my groin. I would get short of breath walking to our letterbox, I would have to have a half time breather doing the dishes. I was incredibly unfit.
Obviously, the chemotherapy weakens you, but at the same time, you ask anyone who has not exercised for 6-8 months, they would tell you that they became extremely unfit.
That was me.
So I slowly began walking.
I remember it was only about 2 or 3 weeks after my treatment finished, Brett went for a fish and while he did that, I walked about 2km in one direction. I had planned to walk back, but I was so tired and puffed (plus it was a 37 degree day) I sat on a bench calling him to come round and pick me up. Unfortunately that day, his phone was in his backpack and on silent, so he didn't hear my 5 missed calls. I got my breath back and walked back towards him. Halfway there he had checked his phone and called me back. He felt terrible but it was ok, I was slowly making it back, so he met me half way. I felt really unwell and thought to myself, "am I ever going to be ok with exercise again?"

Well a few months later, I think about April, I was cleared by my haematologist to do full exercise. My collateral veins were working well (still having a superior vena cava obstruction - these collaterals are keeping my blood flowing, and me alive) and my venous return was still slow, but I was given the green light to give things a crack.
Since then, I started running around the block. So short, it would take me only 5 minutes. I began extending that and feeling better and better every time. I also played social sports like netball, playing only a 1/4 or a 1/2. I also played basketball and subbed off whenever I felt the need.
It took a while, but fitness started to return.

It wasn't until this year, 2015 and the end of January when a group of girls formulated the idea of competeing in a triathlon.
I remember sitting around the table, being urged to give it a go. When I reluctantly agreed, I felt so sick and nervous. WHAT HAD I JUST COMITTED TO??
I started to train. I didn't train as much as I had planned and ended up signing up for the shorter triathlon course. Which in the end I was happy about because it is smarter to start small, instead of going too big too soon and killing myself.
Training was good. I would swim 500m-1km when I went to the pool, 10-20km when I rode my bike and comfortably ran 3km around my area, to make sure the distances for the triathlon were achieveable.

The day arrived.
I was officially nervous. The triathlon consisted of a 300m ocean swim, 7km road ride and a 3km run.
We woke early, 5am. Left by 5.30am and were driving up to Hillary's.
When we arrived by 6am I had to set up my bike and other gear in the transition area. This was where a group of us were approached by Renee Baker (ummm professional triathlete??) for an interview. I get dobbed in that it is my first triathlon and then that I have also survived cancer! AGHH
Interview....awkward.
By the time it was all set up, I headed to the beach to wait for my group wave to leave.


Standing on that beach was the most scary thing ever. I knew there was no pressure for me to perform an amazing time, but I simply had the fear of the unknown. Not really entirely confident about the transitions and where to go, all the ins and outs, but I just took lots of deep breaths and planned to do my nervous wee during my swim.


Our numbers were called and then the race began in 30 seconds. Deeeeeeeep breaths!
15 seconds.....
Oh man.
The siren sounds and we all run into the water.
The swell was huge that day and it was choppy. They had even reduced the distance of the swim for the long course, it was that bad.

The swim was good. I surived the constant kicks from other competitors and cut through gaps at every opportunity. The sounds of other swimmers potentially drowning didn't stop me. The swim towards the shore at the end was the most difficult as the sun shone in our face obstructing the shoreline and direction for us to swim. After a crooked return, I touched the ground. Got out of the water, wiped the snot from my nose and ran up the sand, ripping off my swimming cap and goggles.

Am I going to vomit? Nup...I'm ok.
Wait, a little bit of wee came out. Ah well, I'm wet....didn't relax enough in the ocean to do my nervous wee. Must hold it in until the end now.


My transition to the bike wasn't the smoothest. I was still wet, trying to put on my singlet and shorts. Not to mention my socks and shoes.
All is well and I put on my helmet to then be able to remove my bike from the rack and run it down to the bike course.


Bike course was windy. It was a bit hilly too, but equally enjoyable on the way back and down those same hills.


The run was by far the hardest. All your spectators and supporters aren't around to cheer you on. They have done a stellar job so far, but they can't come on the run leg. It was hot and bare and bushy on either side. As I ran on the way out I just thought about how jealous I was of the runners that were on their way back. Where the heck is the turn around point?? Some nice young teens were at the turn around point telling everyone to "keep going" and "push it". Yep, alright guys, thanks.
My aim during the run was to not stop. And I didn't. I wanted to...but didn't. I just kept thinking about the finishing line and that it was almost over!
I finally got to the last water station and instructed the guy holding the water cup to just throw it on me. He did so and it was glorious.


I increased my pace having the finish line in sight.
I ran down the finishing chute, high fived a few people, friends all around, cheering me on.
It was a moment that I will cherish.
As you cross the finish, they take your attarctive, sweat-filled picture, put the medallion around your neck and take off your time piece from your ankle.


 I was so tried but so proud. It was a great feeling to have achieved the triathlon in 50 minutes and 13 seconds. I placed 181 out of 420. I couldn't be happier.
 

I want to thank all the people who encouraged me on the day and also leading up to it. And also a huge congratulations to all my lovely friends who did the triathlon as well. In a team or individually, you're all awesome.
I really enjoyed my day!
This just proves that you can come a long way and still achieve what you want, especially after such a big setback in life.

Hope you enjoyed the pictures and the step by step account of what it feels like to be in a triathlon.

P.S. Thanks to Nicole for this really cool perosnalised singlet! #Kendykickedcancer

Love Kendy
xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS