Pages

My diagnosis

I am starting a blog to hopefully not only help myself through this battle I'm facing, but to also encourage others and simply keep people updated on my journey. Stay tuned...I hope you learn something!!
So here we go......

If you don't know me, my name is Kendall and I am 24 years old. I have been blissfully married for a year and a half to my best friend, Brett. We did not expect to face such a huge challenge so early on in marriage, and by far this is the biggest and scariest I could ever imagine.

I have been diagnosed with Primary Mediastinal B-Cell Lymphoma, a form of Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma.

I began having symptoms like fatigue and feeling generally unwell for a few weeks, then began some other symptoms like swelling in my neck and face, pressure in my head when I lent forward and prominant veins showing on my chest and in my arms.

After a lot of mucking around, working in the hospital system as a nurse and just generally being thrown around places, I had a CT scan which confirmed a mass growing in my chest completely obstructing my superior vena cava (the part of the heart that receives blood back from the head etc). Things then moved really quickly to appointments and tests and a biopsy to confirm the diagnosis.

Our future fertility is something that I always thought about (even before being diagnosed with lymphoma). I've always wanted kids and to have a family, so as soon as we found out about this that was one of our first appointments.  We went through options and seemed confident we could harvest some eggs and hubby's sperm and make embryos, to then have frozen for when we needed them. Unfortunately my haematologist said he didn't want to delay treatment, due to the risk the mass could potentially have on my health. It was fine at the time as we were also informed that the treatment planned had only a 3.9% chance of causing infertility. We thought that was ok and decided to go ahead with treatment. The next lot of news we received was after the biopsy, which confirmed non-Hodgkin's lymphoma, which then needed a different type of chemotherapy treatment. This one doesn't have any specific statistics in terms of fertility, so as you can imagine, I am battling to come to terms with maybe the fact we won't have kids. Thankfully we have a faith in our great God, who we believe can work miracles and so if It is in His plan for us to have children after all of this, then we would be so so happy. All we can do is pray and have faith that we will be provided with the gift of being able to have a little family of our own.

It is so hard at the moment to see God's plan in all of this, and of course the uncertainty, fear, doubt, negative thoughts and everything else pile into my mind and distract me from what I truly believe. I ask that you pray for us. Particularly me, who seems to want to give up already and am too scared to go through what I need to, to get better. I'm being raw and honest. I'm not going to pretend I have it all together and that I am happy all the time. So many tears have been shed and I know there's many more to come.

Join me on this journey, this battle, this faith testing challenge.



5 comments:

  1. Kendall this is truly beautiful. So honest and pure! What you are going through none of us can imagine but I would like to support you and be part of your journey to get better!!! Please never hesitate to ask for anything. Stay strong beautiful girl, you are an amazing person, so caring and loving. Believe and have faith xxx I will be praying for you gorgeous girl... Your story brings tears to my eyes but I also know you are strong and can fight this!!!! Let me know if you need anything, a visitor with a coffee and cookies perhaps?:) thinking of you xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peace, strength and perseverance be unto you Kendall. No one could ever fault the things that must be going through your mind as you face this hurdle down. You have massive support in prayer and if in need of practical help then don't dare hesitate to ask it of me or anyone else in our family in Christ.

    I won't tell you to stay strong at all costs- who could do that in the face of such uncertainty?

    Remember too that should fertility become an issue, there are so many children who need to be adopted and I know that they would be privileged to call you Mum.

    Perhaps too, the enemy knows how important and dear you are to the Lord and is seeking to turn you aside from your destiny for the glory of God. Never give him the satisfaction Kendall, never!
    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So sorry to hear Kendall. I've sent you a private message on facebook that may offer some (additional) hope for you to check out.
    I will continue to pray for you.
    God's best to ya
    Nathan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Kendall. I can certainly understand some of what you must be going through at this stage. So sorry to read the news. If you have questions or need advice feel free to phone or email me any time.
    With love
    Jacquie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kendall & Brett .. LOVE your heart and your honesty. Sometimes, when we can't hold on ourselves, it's really good to know that God Himself NEVER lets go of us. His grip is SO much stronger and better than ours! We pray on for you both ... Keith & Noella

    ReplyDelete

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS