Pages

Reasons to smile

This is a blog dedicated to the reasons I have to smile...be happy and of course be thankful.
It is a list. My hope is that this can be a reminder to all my friends and family that no matter what, there are still reasons to smile. There are still things in our life to be thankful for. I wrote this list spontaneously on my phone in the "notes" section during a time when I really was thankful. I was happy, feeling healthy and thought this chemo treatment was going so well and nothing could change. Well it did change, and then I wrote a really sad blog about how much things were going terrible. I then experienced another hospital visit, 3 nights in hospital for a DVT in my arm. Another downer. BUT all during this time of despair and hurting, I kept thinking, "gosh I just want to go home and write my blog about all the good things".
Here's the list.

I HAVE A REASON TO SMILE

My husband
My supportive family and friends
The awesome team of nurses and doctors treating me
Not many side effects
Being at home for my treatment
Knowing God is in control
The amount of people praying for me
Digestive biscuits
Generous gifts, of food, dinners, cleaning, flowers etc
I don't have to style my hair
I don't have to shave body hair (except for legs...fall out already!!)
Purchasing a natural looking wig
The McLeod's Daughters box set
Visitors
The outdoors, sunshining in winter
No pain when plucking my eyebrows
New Hickman line has stopped bleeding
Cups of Melbourne breakfast tea

I'm still having a rough time. I now have to inject myself twice a day with a needle to thin my blood. (Clexane, for all my nurses playing at home). Which is a surreal experience to do it to yourself after doing it so ruthlessly to patients for so long. I am on a heap of other oral medications and now experiencing bone pain in my back and legs. I say all this because to be honest, there is no way I can  sit here and write a blog about all the things I'm happy about, when all at the same time I still feel suffering. But what does God call us to do? James 1:2-4 says, 'consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.'
I am attempting to be joyful in my trials. But I can only do these things as I keep my eyes focused on Christ alone. Knowing he loves me and is here with me, giving me the strength to do all of this.

I'm so sure there are so many things I have forgotten to be thankful for...but that's ok. This isn't over, and I'm not finished yet. I am ALIVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Theme created by PIXEL HAZE DESIGNS